The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) released their Inpatient Prospective Payment System (IPPS) Proposed Rule and Inpatient Psychiatric Facility Prospective Payment System (IPF PPS) Proposed Rule in May.
For the Hospital Inpatient Quality Reporting Program, the proposal is to remove 39 measures over four fiscal years. 35 of the measures proposed for removal are structural, HAI, and claims based measures.
The following chart abstracted measures are proposed for removal beginning with Calendar Year (CY) 2019 discharges:
- ED-1: Median Time from ED Arrival to ED Departure for Admitted ED Patients
- IMM-2: Influenza Immunization
- VTE-6: Incidence of Potentially Preventable Venous Thromboembolism
Beginning with CY2020 discharges, ED-2: Admit Decision Time to ED Departure Time for Admitted patients would be removed.
For the Inpatient Psychiatric Facility Quality Reporting Program (IPFQR), CMS proposes to remove 8 measures beginning with CY2018 discharges. The following chart abstracted measures are proposed for removal:
- TOB-1 – Tobacco Use Screening
- SUB-1 – Alcohol Use Screening
- HBIPS-2 – Hours of Physical Restraint Use
- HBIPS-3 – Hours of Seclusion Use
- TOB-3 – Tobacco Use Treatment Provided or Offered at Discharge
- TOB-3a – Tobacco Use Treatment at Discharge
Additionally, for the IPFQR Program CMS proposed to remove Influenza Vaccination among Healthcare Personnel.
The final rules are expected to be published sometime later this year.
The FY2019 IPPS Proposed Rule can be downloaded from the Federal Register at
The FY2019 IPF PSS Proposed Rule can be downloaded from the Federal Register at