Our newest video presentation is titled: Sepsis Chatter-A Review of Abstraction Challenges. This presentation encompasses a variety of abstraction topics that have generated in depth interpretation discussions over the past six months. The following sub-topics will be covered in detail:
- Documented infection included in an antibiotic order.
- EMS documentation of sepsis,severe sepsis, septic shock, and/or infection.
- EMS documentation of crystalloid fluid administration.
- MD documentation that the patient received an IV antibiotic prior to arrival.
- Using an elevated respiratory rate as a SIRS indicator when the patient is on a ventilator.
Each of the covered topics will include specific abstraction guidance that is defined in the current CMS Specifications Manual for National Hospital Inpatient Quality Measures. We will review the application of these guidelines using examples and rationale.
*This presentation is based on the information included in the most current version of the Specifications Manual for National Hospital Inpatient Quality version 5.13 (Discharges July 1 through December 31, 2023) *For the most accurate guidance, please refer to the version of the Specifications Manual that corresponds to the Discharge Date(s) that are being reviewed.