This month’s registry spotlight is on the Total Hip and Knee Replacement registry through The Joint Commission.
Registry Partners’ Surgical Services team can assist facilities and institutions nationwide with their THKR data collection efforts. We serve as a complete outsource solution or can augment the facility’s current data collection team to ensure high quality, timely, and accurate data collection and submission.
Read on to learn more about the Total Hip and Knee Replacement registry.
What is the Purpose of the THKR Registry?
The THKR measures are a piece of the Advanced Total Hip and Total Knee Replacement Certification offered by The Joint Commission (TJC) in collaboration with The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) and the American Joint Replacement Registry (AJRR).
Applicant organizations must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Program has served a minimum of 10 patients
- Use of standardized clinical care delivery based on evidence-based care and clinical practice guidelines
- Collect monthly data for each measure in the defined set (THKR Registry)
- Participate in the American Joint Replacement Registry (AJRR)
TJC collaborated with experts in the field of orthopedics to identify four areas of focus for the monthly chart abstracted data required for the Advanced THKR Certification. These apply to patients in both the inpatient and outpatient setting:
- Regional Anesthesia
- Postoperative Ambulation on the Day of Surgery
- Discharged to Home
- Postoperative Functional/Health Status Assessment
What are the benefits of achieving Advanced THKR Certification?
According to TJC, “This Advanced Certification program helps health care organizations develop consistent communication and collaboration among all health care providers involved in the care of the patient — from the pre-surgical orthopedic consultation with their surgeon to the intraoperative, hospitalization or ASC admission, rehabilitation activities and then the follow-up visit with the orthopedic surgeon.”
Furthermore, TJC predicts that institutions that earn the Advanced THKR Certification may benefit from the following outcomes:
- Improved patient outcomes over time
- Increased patient volumes through referrals
- Attraction and retention of highly competent staff
- Differentiation of your organization’s program from others in your market