This month’s registry spotlight is on the Center of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecology (COEMIG) by the American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists (AAGL) through the Surgical Review Corporation (SRC).
Registry Partners’ Surgical Services team can assist facilities and institutions nationwide with their COEMIG data collection efforts. We serve as a complete outsource solution or can augment the facility’s current data collection team to ensure high quality, timely, and accurate data collection and submission. Click here to learn more about COEMIG and the other registries we support.
Read on to learn more about COEMIG.
What is the Purpose of the COEMIG?
SRC developed Center of Excellence (COE) accreditation programs to “recognize facilities and specific medical professionals who are committed to achieving defined standards of patient safety and care quality.” Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery joins multiple other specialties in pursuing the “COE model” of establishing excellence through a comprehensive, standardized quality program.
COEMIG promotes the AAGL’s goal of “serving women by advancing the safest and most efficacious diagnostic and therapeutic techniques that afford less invasive treatments for gynecologic conditions through integration of clinical practice, research, innovation, and dialogue.”
How could COEMIG accreditation impact my hospital and practice?
According to AAGL & SRC, the accreditation process to become a Center of Excellence and thus the development of a comprehensive, standardized quality program can yield the following results:
- Better outcomes and reduced costs
- Specialty growth
- Decreased complications and morbidity
- Processional recognition and distinction
Furthermore, the adoption of more minimally invasive techniques in gynecologic surgery at your institution means that your patients can benefit from:
- Reduced trauma
- Decreased blood loss
- Shorter operating time
- Reduced risk of infection
- Less postoperative pain
- Faster healing time
- Minimized scarring
What is the process for achieving COEMIG accreditation?
The process for achieving COEMIG accreditation through SRC moves through the following steps:
- Achieve provisional status and prepare for inspection
- Achieve accreditation
- Maintain accreditation
Applicant organizations must meet inspection requirements in the following categories:
- Institutional commitment to excellence
- Experience – a minimum of 100 annual qualifying cases per facility and 35 annual & 125-lifetime qualifying cases per applicant surgeon (abstracted in an outcomes database such as SRC’s BOLD database)
- Physician program director
- Consultative services – routine & intensive care with management of potential complications
- Equipment and instruments
- Dedication of medical professionals and qualified call coverage
- Clinical pathways and standardized operating procedures
- Team and support staff
- Patient education
- Continuous quality assessment
If you are interested in learning more about the various registry services Registry Partners offers, click here or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
COEMIG Program Benefits Summary
AAGL Promotes Centers of Excellence for Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery