August 30th to September 1st, 2017
This year’s educational meeting started off with our very own Linda Reimers, CTR, Director of Business Development and Amy Arnold, BA, CTR, Accreditation Services Director presenting “ACoS/CoC Survey, Standards, and SAR” as a round table discussion. Linda also presented “Strengthening the QC Policy and Procedures” for the afternoon session. Each session brought much insight and information to the CTRs, who commented on the quality of each presentation.
Steven Peace, CTR, from the Florida Cancer Data System, presented three sessions: “Introduction and How to Use AJCC Cancer Staging Manual, 8th Edition”, “AJCC 8th edition ‐ New Required Site Specific Fields”, and “2018 Updates to National Standards”.
- Everyone was tuned in to these topics with great interest as well as some trepidation!
- A few key points Steven made were:
- Read Chapter 1 – may not be a great beach read but cozy up with it in a rocking chair on a fall day, it’s big enough to keep you warm!
- There will be an E-book version for Apple iBook and Amazon Kindle coming.
- They will continue to update the errata to include ICD-O-3 updates with histologies.
- Site specific fields are required for staging – DOCUMENT in text!
- Site Specific Manual is pending in 2018.
- Site Specific Field training is coming.
Awards were also presented by the SC Central Cancer Registry to facilities for their 2015-2016 data for submission timeliness and accuracy. Tidelands Health-Georgetown, Tidelands Health-Waccamaw and Trident Medical Center each received Silver Awards for the first time! Congratulations to them and to Registry Partners for their assistance in helping them reach that level of quality!
Photo – The lucky winners of our Visa Gift cards were: (left) Tammy Altman, CTR, from Roper St. Francis Healthcare in Charleston, SC and (right) Lesley Bement, CTR, from Tidelands Healthcare Georgetown, SC (middle) Donna Jenkins, CTR, Registry Partners Representative.