It is important for us to keep moving throughout the day when working at a desk job. Staying active during the workday will improve your health, mindset, productivity and energy. Here are 5 ways to help you keep moving!
- Use a Stand-Up Desk: Work at your desk while standing – this will help improve your posture and circulation. Try starting out with standing at your desk for half the day and increase gradually to a full day of standing.
- Sit on an Exercise Ball or a Chair Balance Disk: Using an exercise ball as your chair or a chair balance disk will engage your core (your abs and back muscles) which will assist in maintaining good posture. Some have experienced tremendous improvements in back pain, posture and energy levels using one of these!
- Set a Timer: Use a timer to alert you when to get up and move! When the timer goes off, go for a walk around the office or stretch to workout your muscles.
- Walking Meetings: Try to complete tasks that allow you to be active while taking a call – such as walking around your office or up and down the stairs.
- Workout on your lunch break: Hit the nearest gym or take a stroll outside on your lunch break. Even 30-40 minutes can improve your overall productivity and happiness.
A study presented to the American College of Sports Medicine found that those who workout for 30-60 minutes at lunch have an average performance boost of 15%. Sixty percent (60%) of employees claimed that time management, mental performance and ability to meet deadlines improved on the days they exercised.
Desk Jobs don’t have to be all about sitting – get up and move every chance you get!