According to the American Cancer Society’s Cancer Statistics Center, in 2021 there are an estimated 281,500 new cases of female breast cancer and 2,650 estimated new cases of male breast cancer in the United States. 44,130 of those cases are estimated to die of this disease. While these statistics may sound a little scary, there are some steps you can take to be proactive and help lower your risk.
- Maintain a healthy weight by exercising and keeping moving
- With more people working from home, it is important that you incorporate exercise into your routine
- Avoid or limit alcohol consumption. It is recommended that women limit themselves to one glass per day and for males 2 glasses per day.
- Maintain a healthy diet
- See your doctor regularly and report any changes within your breast or lumps/nodules under your armpits. This could indicate swollen lymph nodes.
- Don’t smoke
- Be sure to keep up to date with your routine screening mammograms which are recommended for women ages 40+
Early detection saves lives.