In an article recently published by FlexJobs, some fascinating statistics about remote work were included, some of which have been shared below. If you have never worked remotely before, what are you waiting for? There is great potential for saving both time and money… and who couldn’t benefit from that?
- Current Percentage of Remote Workers in the U.S.:
- The national average of remote workers in the United States is approximately 5 percent.
- Colorado has the highest remote worker population at 7.9 percent.
- Mississippi has the lowest remote worker population at 2.2 percent.
- Interested in looking at your home state’s remote work statistics, click here.
- Higher Salary: The average remote worker earns a higher median salary than an in-office worker.
- Cost Savings: Remote workers save an estimated $4,600 per year because the costs below would be eliminated:
- Gas: You could save an average of $686 per year.
- Car Maintenance: You could save an average of $767 per year on car maintenance (oil changes, tire replacement, miscellaneous repairs, etc.)
- Food/Drink: You could save an average of $1,040 per year on lunches & coffee (how many times do you visit Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts on the way to work and eat lunch out during the work week?)
- Wardrobe: You could save an average of $925 per year on clothing and shoes.
- Dry Cleaning/Laundry: You could save from $500 to $1,500 on dry cleaning/laundering each year.
- Tax Deduction: You could benefit from a $750 tax break if you deduct your home office each year.
- Time Savings: The average daily commute for a worker is 26.4 minutes one way or 52.8 round trip, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, but for some working in major cities it could take considerably longer. Let’s do the math:
- 52.8 minutes per day x 5 days per week = 264 minutes per week or 4.4 hours per week
- 4.4 hours per week x 52 weeks per year = 228.8 hours per year
I don’t know about you, but I could benefit from the additional 228 hours back into my schedule to clean my house, do laundry, run errands, take part in more activities with my spouse and children, go on a vacation or even get a good night’s sleep!
Registry Partners offers remote work opportunities and would love to hear from you. Visit our Careers page to learn more about our current openings.