This month’s registry spotlight is on the Children’s Hospitals Neonatal Database (CHND) Registry.
Registry Partners’ Pediatric Service Line assists facilities and institutions nationwide with their CHND collection efforts. We serve as a complete outsource solution or can augment the facility’s current data collection team to ensure high quality, timely, and accurate data collection and submission.
Read on to learn more about the Children’s Hospitals Neonatal Database Registry.
What is the Purpose of the CHND Registry?
The Children’s Hospitals Neonatal Consortium (CHNC) improves care for high-risk infants by providing a platform to compare quality and outcomes across Level IV neonatal intensive care units (NICUs). CHNC was formed in 2006 and partnered with Children’s Hospital Association to launch the Children’s Hospital Neonatal Database (CHND) in 2010. Since then, the CHND has grown to include 39 sites.
What are the Benefits of Participating in the CHND Registry?
Participation in the CHND Registry provide some of the following benefits:
- Access to the largest clinical data set for high-risk NICU patients
- CHND records are linked to PHIS (CHA’s administrative dataset) offering comparative data on clinical outcomes as well as resource utilization
- Collaborative opportunities during CHNC’s annual symposium
- Opportunities to participate in focus groups with neonatologists, advanced practice nurses, neonatal nurses, and other experts in the development of quality and research initiatives
- Unit specific outcomes reports
- Data elements from CHND are shared with other national databases and registries (VON, CPQCC, ELSO, NICHD, CDH registry, NSQIP, NHSN)
What tools are used in the Data Collection Process for the CHND Registry?
Data collection is completed by referring to a Manual of Operations to guide data collection from hospital electronic medical records. Some examples of data points collected include patient demographics, birth/referral hospitals, maternal health history, and disease-specific diagnosis. Data is entered into a secured online platform support by Velos, Inc.
If you are interested in learning more about the various registry services Registry Partners offers, click here or email email@example.com.
The CHNC. Retrieved July 26, 2021, from https://thechnc.org
The CHNC Executive Committee. Transforming Care for Medically Complex Infants: Accomplishments & Future Directions of the CHNC and CHND. December 2019.
Originally published September 30, 2019, updated August 19, 2021