National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (NSQIP)
Variable Updates Released by the American College of Surgeons
The American College of Surgeons, National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (NSQIP) Clinical Support team released the January 2019 Variable Updates.
- Changes in this update are effective with procedures performed on or after January 1, 2019.
- The new variables are also available within the Resource Portal, in the Program Resources under the Operations Manual Archive link.
- To watch the podcast associated with these changes click here.
Highlights of the January 2019 changes are listed below:
- Appendix B
- C-sections have been added. They include CPT codes 59510, 59514, 59515, 59618, 59620, 59622 and are limited to no more than three (3) cases per cycle.
- Appendix G
- Timing of SCR Annual Certification Exam: The exam will take place annually each March. The exam will open for SCRs on March 1st and will close on March 31st. The SCR must score a minimum of 90% to pass the exam.
- Chapter 4 ACS NSQIP Variables & Definitions
- Revisions to Preoperative Risk variable
- Revisions to Postop Occurrence definitions
- Revisions to 30-Day Readmission
- Revisions to 30-Day Unplanned Return to OR
- Revisions to Enhanced Recovery Colectomy variables