The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) released their Inpatient Prospective Payment System (IPPS) Final Rule and Inpatient Psychiatric Facility Prospective Payment System (IPF PPS) Final Rules in August.
For the Hospital IQR Program, 39 measures will be removed or de-duplicated from the Hospital IQR Program over four fiscal years.
The chart abstracted measures being removed are as follows:
Beginning with Calendar Year (CY) 2019 Discharges:
- ED-1: Median Time from ED Arrival to ED Departure for Admitted ED Patients
- IMM-2: Influenza Immunization
- VTE-6: Incidence of Potentially Preventable Venous Thromboembolism
Beginning with Calendar Year (CY) 2020 discharges:
- ED-2: Admit Decision Time to ED Departure Time for Admitted patients will be removed.
For the Inpatient Psychiatric Facility Quality Reporting (IPFQR Program), CMS finalized the removal of 2 chart abstracted measures as follows:
Beginning with Calendar Year (CY) 2018 discharges:
- TOB-1 – Tobacco Use Screening
- SUB-1 – Alcohol Use Screening
They are retaining the measures below that had previously been proposed for removal:
- HBIPS-2 – Hours of Physical Restraint Use
- HBIPS-3 – Hours of Seclusion Use
- TOB-3 – Tobacco Use Treatment Provided or Offered at Discharge
- TOB-3a – Tobacco Use Treatment at Discharge
The FY2019 IPPS Final Rule can be downloaded from the Federal Register at https://federalregister.gov/d/2018-16766.
The FY2019 IPF PPS Final Rule can be downloaded from the Federal Register at https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2018/08/06/2018-16518/medicare-program-fy-2019-inpatient-psychiatric-facilities-prospective-payment-system-and-quality