A Trauma Registry Support Services Case Study
REGISTRY PARTNERS & BAY AREA HOSPITAL
COOS BAY, OREGON
Bay Area has partnered with Registry Partners since the fall of 2015. The 134-bed hospital is a multiservice client of ours, taking advantage of our Trauma, Core Measures, Sepsis, Get With the Guidelines (GWTG), Bariatrics, and Cardiac registry services.
Staffing pressures and struggling to meet tight deadlines threatened the consistency and quality of Bay Area’s trauma registry.
Bay Area’s trauma program manager has an overwhelming amount of responsibilities and demands on their time with such a large volume of patients. Getting patients abstracted into the registry by the deadline was a challenge. Because the registry data is used to identify areas for improvements in patient care it was evident that additional support was needed.
As is our standard procedure, we worked with Bay Area to create project parameters based on their unique needs and specifications, ensuring their data is abstracted in the same format for every case, bringing consistency and quality to their trauma registry. We call these parameters our road map; along with the NTDS Data Dictionary and State Data Dictionary, the road map serves as our guide to further ensure that all team members are capturing information the same way. The project’s road map is updated as needed when data dictionaries are updated and/or changes take place in the EMR systems, and it’s an essential resource for bringing any new Bay Area trauma program team members up to speed quickly.
WE PROVIDE ADDITIONAL SUPPORT FOR BAY AREA, INCLUDING PARTICIPATING IN SURVEYS, SERVING AS A RESOURCE FOR REPORT WRITING AND PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT PROJECTS, AND PROVIDING INPUT ON DOCUMENTATION TRENDS.
Registry Partners puts quality at the forefront of our partnership. In keeping with the registry standards for data validation and quality, we do validation, or Inter-Rater Reliability (IRR), on 5 – 10% of cases abstracted. This ensures that the data being entered is accurate and meaningful. Over the last 12 months, our accuracy for Bay Area has been at 97.93%.
OVER THE LAST 12 MONTHS, OUR ACCURACY FOR
BAY AREA HAS BEEN AT 97.93%.
The services provided for Bay Area Hospital are specific to their needs, and include:
- Entering cases into the trauma registry, providing data abstraction that is completed within 45 days of discharge, including ICD 10 coding, AIS coding, and identifying PI issues and complications, and ensuring data quality with routine validation/inter- rater reliability of 5 – 10% of cases
- Identifying performance improvement issues, complications, and re-admissions, including advising on trends noted with physicians or patient care
- Assist with survey prep by preparing case summaries on selected cases, and reporting for survey preparation
- Reporting assistance, including report writing as well as running routine reports for leadership
- Preparing data for local/state meetings (upon request), including metrics like overall ISS scores, transfer data, information related to trauma activations, transport modes, age, time to CT/OR, length of stay, and discharge dispositions
- Assisting with training needs, including how to build and run reports, what they can be used for, and providing input on potential performance indicator initiatives
Registry Partners is a national provider of data abstraction, registry management, and consulting services. We serve clients in over 40 states through remote registry support, access to registry expertise, and a delivery model that supports the highest quality of data collection.
Each member of the Registry Partners trauma team has experience and training, including completion of the trauma registry course, completion of the AAAM AIS coding courses, and ongoing continuing education in trauma registry skills and knowledge.
Learn more about how we can help you!
Client Services Representative