Social Media can be a powerful self-promotional tool. Recruiters tune into sites like Facebook and LinkedIn to seek out their next hire. According to a study by the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), 65% of employers have made hires through social media sites. In fact, 93% of hiring managers admit that they do some internet digging and look up candidates on social media. You should be aware of how you look on social media sites. Here are 6 tips on how to optimize your profile.
- Have a complete and relevant profile. If you are using LinkedIn, make sure your profile is complete and includes complete employment history, education and any skills related to a job. Listing your workplace on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram is also a great idea as it shows pride for your workplace and profession.
- Keep it professional! Don’t post things on social media that you would not want everyone to see or know about you. A positive social media presence can help you stand out from others.
- Join career-relevant groups. Social media is full of various groups that can pair you with like-minded job seekers and offer industry-specific insights. It also shows that you are engaged in your field.
- Update your profile frequently. If you change jobs or get a promotion, highlights those key points in your profile.
- Provide a clear link to your email address. If a potential company wants to connect with you about a job opportunity, make sure it is easy for them to contact you.
- Have a professional headshot. Having a decent headshot is key to engaging the right company. You want to look professional and well put together.