Your resume is usually the first thing a recruiter or hiring manager reviews and is the “first impression” in deciding your eligibility and qualifications for a position. Secure more interview requests by following these 5 tips when writing or updating your resume.
- Review successful examples of resumes.
- Before you start work on writing or updating your resume, review resume examples that fit a variety of employment situations. Then select a style and format that best highlights your strengths and achievements.
- You can review different types of resumes for free at Careers Wiki and The Balance Careers.
- Format your resume wisely. According to ASME Career Centers:
- Use a logical format and wide margins, clean type, and clear headings.
- Use a basic font.
- Selectively apply bold and italic typeface that help guide the reader’s eye.
- Use bullets to call attention to important points (i.e. accomplishments).
- Quantify your accomplishments.
- Include and highlight specific achievements that present a comprehensive picture of your marketability.
- Quantify your achievements to ensure greater confidence by the hiring manager.
- Include a one or two-line job description first, then list your accomplishments in this position.
- Don’t rewrite your job description. Explain what you accomplished in the position and what sets you apart from other employees.
- Cater your resume for the industry.
- Error-free writing, grammatically correct, clean crisp type and paper will make the impression for you.
- Replace your objective statement with a career summary.
- Grab a hiring manager’s attention right from the beginning, so you stand out and they remember you.
- Objective statements are often too generic to add much value. Unless you’re able to make an impactful statement, it won’t improve your application. It’s better to leave it off.
In addition to writing a good resume, be sure you make networking a priority.
- 85% of all jobs get filled through networking accordingly to statistics from LinkedIn.
- Build relationships through Social Media sites.